Configure touchpad double-tap

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed May 7 21:02:17 UTC 2014

On 2/28/2014 5:28 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 2/27/2014 8:10 PM, John Hupp wrote:

>>> I booted into the *Ubuntu* Live DVD on this laptop, and touchpad
>>> double-tapping performed very smoothly.
>>>
>>> Under Ubuntu, synclient reported different values for VertEdgeScroll
>>> and HorizTwoFingerScroll than Lubuntu reported, but changing those
>>> settings to match in Lubuntu did not help the double-tap problem.
>>>
>>> I installed Lubuntu Saucy on another laptop, and double-tap worked
>>> beautifully on that machine, but it has an Alps touchpad rather than
>>> Synaptics.
>>>
>>> I booted into the Lubuntu Trusty 2/14 Daily Build Live DVD on the
>>> problem laptop and found that it had the same problem with
>>> double-tap, but while there I discovered that a *TRIPLE-TAP*
>>> reliably yielded the behavior expected for a double-tap.
>>>
>>> So I booted back into Saucy from the hard drive, and found that
>>> there too, a triple-tap reliably yielded the behavior wanted for a
>>> double-tap.
>>>
>>> It seems like this information could be used to alter the settings
>>> to get expected behavior from a double-tap, but I'm not sure how.
>>>
>>> Does this tell anyone something?
>>>

>> It seems to me like this behavior is a bug, probably related to Xorg,
>> or more likely LXDE since it does not occur under Ubuntu.
>>
>> I like the idea that Trusty is a bug-fix-oriented release, and I'd
>> like to see what I can do to help get this fixed for Trusty as well
>> as Saucy.
>>
>> I've been reading https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing/ and linked
>> docs.  It seems like I would be required to join a QA team in order
>> to do anything (e.g. access the QA mail list), even if my focus were
>> fixing one problem.  Then I read about laptop testing, and it seemed
>> that one would have to join a laptop testing team that was
>> Ubuntu-oriented rather than focused on Lubuntu, and the job
>> description also seems focused on execution of prescribed test cases.
>>
>> I should say that I also have an interest in certain other bug-fixes
>> for Trusty -- most of them for the desktop -- but admitting my
>> immediate interest in this specific laptop problem, does anyone have
>> advice on how to proceed?
>>
>> One late, parting thought: Instead of joining a QA team, etc., can I
>> file a standard bug report at Launchpad for issues with Trusty?
>>

> OK, without knowing for sure if this was the best way to proceed, I
> filed a bug report for Saucy at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/1286326
> and for Trusty at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/1286372
>
> In both cases I filed against xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, even while
> wondering why the same package would work under Ubuntu but not Lubuntu.

It seems that the synclient MaxDoubleTapTime setting (or setting
MaxDoubleTapTime in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d\50-synaptics.conf) does
not govern the Synaptics touchpad double-tap.

Instead, it is responding to a GTK2 setting, in which the default
double-tap time is 250 ms.

To change that per-user (and there is probably a global setting
somewhere -- wish I knew where), create ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with content like:
        gtk-double-click-time=400
though values up to 1000 are sometimes suggested.

Sources: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=501 and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Mouse