14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri May 16 13:55:41 UTC 2014

Hi, Julien.

Early in this thread (as below), it seemed like the problem might be
related to that bug, but even after getting update-notifier running by
one means or another, I find that I'm never automatically offered the
updates.

Or rather, to be precise, I was automatically offered updates *once*, on
an occasion when I manually ran "dbus-launch update-notifier."  (I have
tested various methods of starting update-notifier, and this was one of
them.)

But for testing purposes, I have not installed any updates since 5/8 so
that they should be reliably offered to me if things were working
right.  A manual run of update-manager now offers 83 MB.

This is on a laptop.  A day or two ago I also installed 14.04 on a
desktop (plain vanilla configuration), got update-notifier running via a
workaround, and was not automatically offered updates there either.

Despite these observations, do you think that lxsession or another of
the packages from the staging PPA will fix the problem?

--John