14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Fri May 16 12:28:50 UTC 2014

It's the same bug that the network icon not showing on the panel. Please see :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxsession/+bug/1309698
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/1308348
https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+archive/staging for the fix.

And be sure to not have autostarted disable in lxsession-default-apps.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne