Problems with a live CD

Andrew Burgess ap_burgess at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 19 01:11:59 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

DVD seems likely to play into the first problem you had

I burnt it on a CD now , and that seemed to work.

I wouldn't actually expect a NIC issue to be a deal breaker.  Maybe you should
try letting it sit there for a few (maybe up to 15) minutes and see if it
will time out. Or type Control+C to see if you can encourage it to time out,
and continue the boot sequence.  Most likely the internet will be busted, but
at least you might get somewhere from there.

I'll give this a try.

Do you have another computer to try?  Have
you tried other distros, or other versions of K/Ubuntu?

I tried on my Dad's XP desktop; booted perfectly, not a problem at all. Also Ubuntu Feisty worked on the desktop, but was even worse on my laptop; had a problem with the X session (I think that's what it was). There was a massive error report and really weird screens.

I gave Gentoo a try from a Live CD; I got to the desktop with no real errors, although there was some message about not being able to use themes, screensaver, etc.

Wulfmann  wrote:
Google is your friend!  it seems to be related to some wireless card...
you need a driver...

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
This problem looks more like something with your wireless NIC (network interface
card?)

>From what I've found, it is a wireless card issue.  One site ( https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/329 ) suggested to use the command

sudo aptitude install bcm43xx-fwcutter
sudo /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

This won't work, however, because I can't put commands into the screen I get this error on. I also found a site ( https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2006-March/070868.html ) that said it was a with the "ndiswrapper " (whatever that is) and gave a driver to install from here: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/ . That's no good either, because I can't install anything until I get to the desktop.

Knapp wrote:
What kind of computer are you using? memory, etc?

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520, with a Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu T5250 @ 1.50GHz 1.50 GHz, 2GB of RAM, 32-BIT Operating System.

Thank you all for your help and time; I hope we're getting closer to the solution!

Andrew