Problems with a live CD

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Wed Sep 19 00:03:03 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, Andrew Burgess wrote:

> bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available
> or load failed.

> PS - I've said CD, but it's actually a DVD; does it make a difference?

DVD seems likely to play into the first problem you had (threads about the
busybox problem talked about DVDs and SATA hard drives, mostly.)  This
problem looks more like something with your wireless NIC (network interface
card?)

I wouldn't actually expect a NIC issue to be a deal breaker.  Maybe you should
try letting it sit there for a few (maybe up to 15) minutes and see if it
will time out. Or type Control+C to see if you can encourage it to time out,
and continue the boot sequence.  Most likely the internet will be busted, but
at least you might get somewhere from there.

Anyway, it looks like a pretty clear example of pain in the ass hardware.  Sad
truth about Linux is that hardware either works effortlessly, or you're
gambling a fortune in time for no better than a 50/50 shot that it might work
somehow.  Especially as a newbie.

I hate to tell you to move along and look elsewhere, but I hate to see you get
wet from pissing in the wind too.  Do you have another computer to try?  Have
you tried other distros, or other versions of K/Ubuntu?
--
D. Michael McIntyre