Strange issue upgrading from Edgy to Feisty -- or is it an issue?

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 26 20:49:32 UTC 2007

I am going to try and answer this one.....

What I gather from seeing the posts on the development of the upgrade tool and
watching it work first-hand.....hey I even tried to break it to find its
points of failure.....what I learned in all of this is that essentially the
upgrade tool remaps your sources.list file to Feisty, then downloads and
installs the packages for you.  This makes the upgrade tool an add-on
application to Adept Updater (rather than a separate program) that prevents
you from having to do the work via more manual methods, such as apt-get, etc.
What I can tell you about the reliability of this tool is that if you kill
the power to your machine in the middle of its download and restart Adept
Updater it will return to the point where the download was stopped.

Those 1048 packages which you see that are uncommitted are the packages that
the upgrade tool would have installed if it ran through its full process.  If
you run Adept Updater and leave it install those packages you will arrive at
Feisty at the end of the lengthy process--more than likely unharmed.

Now whether your individual applications will run at the end depends upon what
software you run, how the software is setup, and their dependencies.  I do
not believe that anyone can guarantee a clean upgrade regardless of the
method used, but I do think that most folks who have upgraded from Edgy to
Feisty are pretty satisfied.  So far I have not noted any issues on my laptop
with any software, and I am enjoying Feisty immensely.

If you have specific applications that you wish to know will run cleanly under
Feisty, perhaps you can list them and someone on this list might give you
a "go" or "no go" for that particular app.   Hope this helps.

Larry