Strange issue upgrading from Edgy to Feisty -- or is it an issue?

Wafa Hakim Orman wafa at email.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 26 19:18:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

I went through the standard network install from Edgy to Feisty on my
desktop & everything worked perfectly. I am now trying to go from Edgy
to Feisty on my Toshiba A45 Satellite notebook & things are rather weird.

What happens is, I go to adept-manager, I update the repositories, it
tells me there is a new version available, I click ok, it downloads the
first update tool & then vanishes. Poof, out of sight. Adept-manager
stays open but there is no sign of the distribution upgrade interface.
(On my desktop there was a separate window showing the progress of the
distribution upgrade.)

When I look through my repositories, I see that they have all been
changed to Feisty. When I try to exit Adept-manager, it says there are
uncommitted updates -- it wants to install 1048 new packages, all of
which are Feisty packages.

This is a work machine with a lot of important software & data on it (at
least the data is safe in its own /home partition) but will it be safe
to just let it install all those Feisty packages? Will that achieve a
distribution upgrade, as seamless as on the other computer?

I don't know if this is important, but when I went from Dapper to Edgy
on this notebook that is now acting funny, I had used the network
upgrade, just changing all instances of dapper to edgy in my
sources.list & doing apt-get dist-upgrade. On the desktop, that had not
worked so I had to format the / partition & install Edgy from a cd. Now
it looks like the roles may have been reversed between my two machines...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Wafa.

--