Upgrading from 6.10 to 7.04

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:51:05 BST 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 02:43:00 am Ace wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I've 6.04 installed on my laptop. But right now i want to upgrade to
> 7.04. Is there anyway to upgrade it using 7.04 installation cd?
> without formating all the system file?
>
> And I've heard some people upgrade to 7.04 using repository. How I do that?
>
> Thx...

Upgrading via the repositories is FAR easier, and can be done via the upgrade
instructions on the kubuntu site.

I have upgraded 2 laptops, and 1 desktop and there are some issues, but if
you're ready for them they are no big deal.  I have also done a fresh install
on another laptop.

Know that the "update-manager" is going to crash at some point.
	no problem because "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get upgrade" will
finish the job.  It will prompt you with a special command
(like "dpkg --configure -a" if something dies in the middle of set up).
	you may also need to run "apt-get -f install" to clear some things.

Try this on a machine other than the one you are using to contact the list, or
get very familiar with apt and dpkg first.  If you pay attention to what you
are doing you can get upgraded with minimal fuss.

I like using synaptic because it helps with resolving conflicts FAR better
than adept, aptitude, or apt-get by itself.  Synaptic shows you what has to
be removed if you upgrade something, if indeed there is a conflict.

Synaptic also keeps what hasn't upgraded in front of you so you know when you
are done.

The down side to a fresh install is remembering what you had installed.
So, if you decide to go that route, run:
sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed.txt
edit installed.txt and take out references to the Linux kernel (linux-image,
linux-restricted, linux-headers, or linux-source).
You may also want to go through and see if there are any apps you really don't
want to re-install.  If you are not sure if you need it, remove it from the
list.  If its needed as a part of a dependency apt will automatically install
it, or you can install the app that needed it later with synaptic, adept or
whatever.

Also, save off a copy of your sources.list file so you can edit it and change
the references to feisty, especially if you install stuff from other third
party repositories.
Then after you do a fresh install and get your box back up you can:
1.  Edit the sources.list file to include all the repositories you want to
use.
2.  execute the following (either in a script or in order):
sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed.txt
sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

Note:  Put the above three lines, minus the "sudo " part, in a file
called "restoreapps.sh" add "#!/bin/bash" with the double quotes at the top
of the file, and set the permissions to execute and you wont have to type all
that mess in.  Then you can execute it by running:
sudo ./restoreapps.sh
and get your apps back.

I'm also assuming above you put the "installed.txt" file in a location that
will not get wiped when you format / or /boot.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.