sound system won´t do full duplex

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 19 03:21:01 UTC 2007

anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>>Why is that when I try to put the sound system in full duplex, the cpu
>>>overloads while trying to restart the sound system, and it aborts?
>>
>>Good question.  Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your system
>>so that we can do more than make a wild guess:
>>
>>What sound hardware do you have?
>
> I don´t know.

OK.  You should be able to find the information in the output of the
command 'lspci' in a console session.  Mine tells me, for example, that
I have a:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Once you have that it would also be good to run 'lspci -n' and post the
same record with the numbers, such as with mine:

00:1f.5 0401: 8086:2485 (rev 02)

>>What "sound system" are you restarting?
>
> The KDE sound system?

Great.

>>How, exactly, do you know "the CPU overloads?"
>
> I get an error msg stating ¨CPU overload, aborting restart of sound
> system¨.
>
>>What error messages are displayed when [the sound system] aborts?
>
> See above.

Right then.

>>Why are you restarting the sound system?
>
> This automagically occurs when I click the ¨full duplex¨ button in KDE
> Control Center.
>
>>What changes are you making to try and obtain full duplex sound?
>
> I am clicking the ¨full duplex¨ button in the hardware tab of the
> sound system window of KDE Control Center.

No problem.

>>Does your sound hardware actually claim to support full duplex anywhere?
>
> I don´t know.

Sure.

[...]

> I suppose I was hoping someone would tell what further information was
> needed to diagnose the problem, and, possibly even, where I would find
> that information in order to divulge it.  How do I determine what my
> sound card is?  (I only know it is, indeed, onboard the mobo, and not
> an added card).

No problem.  The lspci steps above should help extract details on what
the hardware and driver are.

You should also check the output of the command 'dmesg' for errors
related to sound -- especially the last few lines after you generate
that problem.

Unfortunately I think that is about as far as I can take you -- I don't
have experience with the KDE sound system enough to know what it is
trying to do there.

Hopefully someone else will be able to pipe up and suggest something
more.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/