sound system won´t do full duplex

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 02:26:47 UTC 2007

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> writes:
>

>>Why is that when I try to put the sound system in full duplex, the cpu
>>overloads while trying to restart the sound system, and it aborts?
>>

>Good question.  Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your system
>so that we can do more than make a wild guess:
>
>What sound hardware do you have?

I don´t know.

>What "sound system" are you restarting?

The KDE sound system?

>How, exactly, do you know "the CPU overloads?"

I get an error msg stating ¨CPU overload, aborting restart of sound system¨.

>What error messages are displayed when [the sound system] aborts?

See above.

>Why are you restarting the sound system?

This automagically occurs when I click the ¨full duplex¨ button in KDE
Control Center.

>What changes are you making to try and obtain full duplex sound?

I am clicking the ¨full duplex¨ button in the hardware tab of the sound
system window of KDE Control Center.

>Does your sound hardware actually claim to support full duplex anywhere?

I don´t know.

>>This is on a 3.2ghz Celeron.  I used to run the sound system in full
>>duplex on my 1ghx PIII without a hitch.  Is it due to a difference in
>>the sound card, perhaps?
>>

>Possibly.  If your modern system has an integrated on-motherboard device
>(which, typically, are cheap and crappy) then it could perform
>significantly less well than a PCI connected device in the lower-spec
>machine.

This is onboard sound, but, the PIII had onboard sound, too, and an
older mobo.

>You didn't give us nearly enough information about either the new or old
>setup for us to be of much help though.

I suppose I was hoping someone would tell what further information was
needed to diagnose
the problem, and, possibly even, where I would find that information in
order to divulge it.
How do I determine what my sound card is?  (I only know it is, indeed,
onboard the mobo, and
not an added card).

Thanks,
Tony