sound system won´t do full duplex

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 19 01:18:51 UTC 2007

anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> writes:

> Why is that when I try to put the sound system in full duplex, the cpu
> overloads while trying to restart the sound system, and it aborts?

Good question.  Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your system
so that we can do more than make a wild guess:

What sound hardware do you have?
What "sound system" are you restarting?
How, exactly, do you know "the CPU overloads?"
What error messages are displayed when [the sound system] aborts?
Why are you restarting the sound system?
What changes are you making to try and obtain full duplex sound?
Does your sound hardware actually claim to support full duplex anywhere?

> This is on a 3.2ghz Celeron.  I used to run the sound system in full
> duplex on my 1ghx PIII without a hitch.  Is it due to a difference in
> the sound card, perhaps?

Possibly.  If your modern system has an integrated on-motherboard device
(which, typically, are cheap and crappy) then it could perform
significantly less well than a PCI connected device in the lower-spec
machine.

You didn't give us nearly enough information about either the new or old
setup for us to be of much help though.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/