sound system won´t do full duplex

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 10:47:11 UTC 2007

Daniel Pittman wrote:

>anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> writes:
>

>>Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>>Good question.  Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your system
>>>so that we can do more than make a wild guess:
>>>
>>>What sound hardware do you have?
>>>

>>I don´t know.
>>

>OK.  You should be able to find the information in the output of the
>command 'lspci' in a console session.  Mine tells me, for example, that
>I have a:
>
>00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>
>Once you have that it would also be good to run 'lspci -n' and post the
>same record with the numbers, such as with mine:
>
>00:1f.5 0401: 8086:2485 (rev 02)

I´m not finding anything here the I can specifically identify as the
sound card.

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5a33 (rev 01)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5a3f
0000:00:11.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc ATI 437A Serial ATA
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc ATI 4379 Serial ATA
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host
Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc Standard Dual Channel
PCI IDE Controller ATI (rev 80)
0000:00:14.2 0403: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 437b (rev 01)
0000:00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge
(rev 80)
0000:00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge
(rev 80)
0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown
device 5a61
0000:02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
0000:02:04.0 Communication controller: Conexant: Unknown device 2f40

Perhaps it is one of the ¨unidentified devices¨ and this is part of the
problem?
I´m pretty sure it´s not an IDE, SMBus, VGA or USB controller.  Could it
be this last, Communication controller?
Or perhaps this line:   0000:00:14.2 0403: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown
device 437b (rev 01)
I do have sound, lovely sound, just not in fullduplex (which is needed
to run my microphone to record sound,
and use Skype, Voip stuff).

>>>What "sound system" are you restarting?
>>>

>>The KDE sound system?
>>

>Great.
>

>>>How, exactly, do you know "the CPU overloads?"
>>>

>>I get an error msg stating ¨CPU overload, aborting restart of sound
>>system¨.
>>

>>>What error messages are displayed when [the sound system] aborts?
>>>

>>See above.
>>

>Right then.
>

>>>Why are you restarting the sound system?
>>>

>>This automagically occurs when I click the ¨full duplex¨ button in KDE
>>Control Center.
>>

>>>What changes are you making to try and obtain full duplex sound?
>>>

>>I am clicking the ¨full duplex¨ button in the hardware tab of the
>>sound system window of KDE Control Center.
>>

>No problem.
>

>>>Does your sound hardware actually claim to support full duplex anywhere?
>>>

>>I don´t know.
>>

>Sure.
>
>[...]
>

>>I suppose I was hoping someone would tell what further information was
>>needed to diagnose the problem, and, possibly even, where I would find
>>that information in order to divulge it.  How do I determine what my
>>sound card is?  (I only know it is, indeed, onboard the mobo, and not
>>an added card).
>>

>No problem.  The lspci steps above should help extract details on what
>the hardware and driver are.
>
>You should also check the output of the command 'dmesg' for errors
>related to sound -- especially the last few lines after you generate
>that problem.
>
>Unfortunately I think that is about as far as I can take you -- I don't
>have experience with the KDE sound system enough to know what it is
>trying to do there.
>
>Hopefully someone else will be able to pipe up and suggest something
>more.
>
>Regards,
>        Daniel

I appreciate your assistance.