Real easy question about low-sensativity touchpad on laptop, using Dapper Flight 4 :)

Ryan R air.lightz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 00:31:53 UTC 2006

Hi there everyone :-)

Let me just start by say I absolute LOVE Dapper 4 so far.  The
high-resolution VGA support for the installer and text is great, not
to mention the new KDE and the neato automatic updates option found on
the KDE taskbar which works most excellent..

But, I'm having what is I'm sure a very easy-to-solve problem (I am a
newbie after all :))

I have a Dell D600 2.0ghz Centrino Laptop which I'm running this on,
and everything is working perfectly EXCEPT for my touchpad when I'm in
KDE.  It is like it is set on EXTREMELY low sensetivity.. It requires
MANY strokes just to get the cursor from one side of the screen to the
other (It's not stuttering or anything; it's very smooth.. Just very
slow!)

I don't have a clue if maybe this is an X misconfiguration or a KDE
one.  I tried taking a quick look in the "System Settings" in the main
KDE menu, and tried adjusting "Pointer Accelration" under the MOUSE
category, but it didn't make a difference :(

Don't know if this is neccessary, or useful, but this is my xorg.conf :

-----
duckdown at airfoil:/etc/X11$ cat xorg.conf
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "i2c"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon
Mobility 9000 M9]"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon
Mobility 9000 M9]"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection
duckdown at airfoil:/etc/X11$

---

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I'm stuck using the
stick-pointer for now because the pad is a complete pain in the butt
:)

Thanks everybody in advance :-)
-Ryan