ext3 and Reiserfs (was Re: Some of my Kubuntu-Hoary tweaks )

Abdullah Ramazanoglu ar018 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 22:02:07 UTC 2005

Jose Gomez-Dans dedi ki:
> On 4/15/05, Abdullah Ramazanoglu <ar018 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  --8<--

>> So, even if other FS support is also included in the CD, I believe the
>> installer should hide them in an "Advanced Choices" submenu or
>> something.
>
> But isn't the new user suppossed to just choose the automatic
> partitioning tool? From my experience having to repartition the hard
> drive (swap? wuzzat?) is far more traumatic than accepting the
> defaults. At any rate, either ext3, xfs or reiser are very mature file
> systems, not resulting in problems. I think that there are more
> pressing problems than file systems :)

Partitioning step is perhaps the most difficult as well as the most
dangerous part of the installation procedure, and admittedly d-i can be a
bit confusing for a new user.

Given its sensitivity, I believe automatic partitioning should only be
offered if it's done super intelligently, covering all special cases and
knowing precisely where to give control back to the user when auto
partitioning cannot be done in a 100% sure and safe way. And manual
partitioning should be as plain and simple as possible.

No comments on the sophistication of d-i regarding automatic partitioning.
But getting FS choices out of the way of a casual user is a step, however
small, towards simplifying manual partitioning.

Best regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu
aramazan ÄT myrealbox D0T cöm