ext3 and Reiserfs (was Re: Some of my Kubuntu-Hoary tweaks )

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:03:58 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Abdullah Ramazanoglu <ar018 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can imagine a newbie facing the question of which FS type to choose from,
> while installing. For many (among the masses I presume Kubuntu is
> targeting), ext3 or reiser or xfs or jfs, etc might mean nothing but some
> garbled names. They might choose just about any FS type at random, and
> then complain about this or that problem...
>
> So, even if other FS support is also included in the CD, I believe the
> installer should hide them in an "Advanced Choices" submenu or something.

But isn't the new user suppossed to just choose the automatic
partitioning tool? From my experience having to repartition the hard
drive (swap? wuzzat?) is far more traumatic than accepting the
defaults. At any rate, either ext3, xfs or reiser are very mature file
systems, not resulting in problems. I think that there are more
pressing problems than file systems :)

Jose