People Need to Decide between Juju and Docker or how newbies need to thing ?

Whit Morriss whit.morriss at canonical.com
Wed Mar 4 16:45:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Vahric Muhtaryan <vahric at doruk.net.tr>
wrote:

> Hello All ,
>
> I'm quite new Juju but like it and preparing to introduce it to our
> customers for they can use it as a PaaS solution with our cloud offerings
> Not understand or learn full functionality of Docker but like juju it can
> deploy applications and manage the underlying OS level virtualisation layer
> Both product looks like smiler , I would like to learn what juju users and
> devs , charmers thinking about Docker and  future of all

Juju is not a replacement for docker or docker is not a replacement for
juju.  Both help you deliver software, and the similarities end about
there. Docker has a very narrow focus, Juju a much wider one.

Docker give you the following:
- a way to package software
- a way to run across a spectrum of linux platforms
- an image based workflow for delivering software,
- a way to launch software on a single machine.

Juju gives you the following:
- a distributed execution model for delivering, launching and scaling
systems across many machines (virtual or metal)
- a way to relate services to each and launch behavior when connecting and
coordinating services
- the ability to deploy software across a ever increasing number of IAAS
 providers and metal
- a way to logically encapsulate the deployment of complex multi machine
systems into a package like artifact.
- a service oriented approach to managing infrastructure (vs. a machine
orient paradign offered by CM systems)

Juju is an excellent tool for delivering docker package solutions and
orchestrating docker based workflows.  My team has been working on a docker
charm to encapsulate best practices with docker workflows and we would love
input:

https://github.com/chuckbutler/docker-charm
http://chuckbutler.github.io/docker-charm/user/getting-started.html

We also have been working a system for delivering and orchestrating
kubernetes which provides some cluster management smarts atop docker:

http://whitmo.github.io/bundle-kubernetes/
https://github.com/whitmo/kubernetes/blob/juju-getting-started/docs/getting-started-guides/juju.md

I feel we are a little late to the party w/ docker and just starting to
scratch the surface of what juju and docker can do together.  As it turns
out, they are very complementary.  We'd love to get more folks trying this
docker based system out and participating in their development.  Please
kick tire and tell us what you find!

-w

D. Whit Morriss
Developer, Juju Ecosystem