bzr status and commit strange behaviour

Stefano Spinucci virgo977virgo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:38:57 GMT 2007

On 3/17/07, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> Stefano Spinucci wrote:
> > On Windows 2000, using the unofficial binary provided by Alexander
> > Belchenko (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2007q1/023474.html),
> > working on a network share, I encountered the following problem:
> >
> > - bzr status --> showed a file to commit
> > - bzr commit --> don't commit the file, and  created an empty commit
> > - bzr status --> showed again the same file to commit
> > - bzr commit --> don't commit the file, and  created another empty commit
> > - ...changing the file...
> > - bzr status --> showed a file to commit
> > - bzr commit --> commited the file
> > - bzr status --> showed no file to commit
> > - bzr commit --> failed because there was nothing to commit
> >
> > Any hint for this strange behaviour (a modified file not committed and
> > an empty commit created)???
> > Maybe reopening, saving again and closing the file (an excel
> > spreadsheet) I removed some strange/subtle lock on the file letting
> > the commit to succeed???
> >

> Was there anything non-standard about the file? Like maybe having
> unicode characters or something?

no

> Is it possible to get a copy of the branch (off-list would be fine) for
> investigation?

there are some sensitive files on first commits... can I extract and
send you a dump of the problematic revisions or send you my repo
removing first revisions ???

> Are you sure the commit succeeded in the original cases? (bzr log
> - --verbose -r-10..-1, shows commits with no changes?)

yes, with log --verbose I saw more than one commit without files, only
my commit message  :-(

> Can you give any more details? (Maybe send me the contents of
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\.bzr.log, or is that in My Documents
> now).

the problem occurred on my work machine... monday morning I'll send
you my bzr.log.

bye, and thank you for your prompt reply...

---
Stefano Spinucci