bzr status and commit strange behaviour

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Mar 17 15:56:10 GMT 2007

Stefano Spinucci wrote:

>> Was there anything non-standard about the file? Like maybe having
>> unicode characters or something?
>
> no
>
>> Is it possible to get a copy of the branch (off-list would be fine) for
>> investigation?
>
> there are some sensitive files on first commits... can I extract and
> send you a dump of the problematic revisions or send you my repo
> removing first revisions ???

You can copy your existing repo to a new one, and then delete some of
the .knit files. If you can leave the .kndx it gives me a bit of idea
what is going on, without giving me the actual data that those files
contained.

The files in question will be in .bzr/repository/knits/*/*.knit

They will generally start with the same name as the original file.
(myfile.xls => myfile.xls-20060505121314-abeoua234tha0o98.knit)

>> Are you sure the commit succeeded in the original cases? (bzr log
>> - --verbose -r-10..-1, shows commits with no changes?)
>
> yes, with log --verbose I saw more than one commit without files, only
> my commit message  :-(

That is definitely weird. If there were no changes, I would have
expected the "unchanged" check to kick in.

I wonder... Maybe it is a problem with InventoryEntry.snapshot. Which is
where it actually tries to read the file to get the new contents. (So
the higher level checks were saying that yes, something has changed, but
when it went to copy those lines, it got something different).

>> Can you give any more details? (Maybe send me the contents of
>> C:\Documents and Settings\username\.bzr.log, or is that in My Documents
>> now).
>
> the problem occurred on my work machine... monday morning I'll send
> you my bzr.log.

There may also be a bzr.log.old. And realize that new bzr commands are
going to write to those files, so try to send them before you use bzr
too much. (So we don't lose the commands we care about).

> bye, and thank you for your prompt reply...
>
> ---
> Stefano Spinucci

Hopefully we can get this sorted out. It does seem a bit like a
Heisenbug (when you look close it disappears).

But we can hope.