[xubuntu-users] Desktop suddenly behaving strangely, need help

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Jan 20 21:18:37 UTC 2019

On 20/01/2019 18:21, avengethecathars wrote:
> Hello
> Suddenly my desktop is behaving strangely. New windows lack the upper
> right hand corner controls (maximize / minimize) and I cannot get to my
> desktop and other folders. The panel has turned black, but still has all
> the items, including the whisker menu. Cursor when on panel is now a
> black X.

I currently have the identical problem, although my cursor is still an
arrow. It goes away when I reboot, but not if I restart X.

I *think* it's because I fiddled with my Desktop folder at one stage
shortly after installation (Mint 18) trying to get different wallpapers
on each of the four desktops. But I don't know what it is.

I thought it was happening at random but it *does* appear to be
connected with running some applications, and a signal that it is about
to happen is that the applications starts up with the title bar
off-screen. It's easy to get it back on-screen (Alt and left mouse
botton to slide the rest of the window into view). What I don't know is
*why* it happens, but from experience my guess is a bug in the video driver.

> Can anyone help me repair this. I am somewhat new to xubuntu and run
> 14.04 due to my laptop being old and short on resources.

I would recommend Xubuntu or even Lubuntu if your hardware is old. I
have had very good results with both.

///Peter