[xubuntu-users] Installation questions

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Apr 9 03:32:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 18:11:37 -0700, fred roller wrote:
>My experience with the hybrid hdd/SSD was to partition main storage
>(data being less sought) on the hdd and, if memory serves me, put the
>boot partition on the hdd. I wasn't overly concerned with boot time
>since I rarely booted. What went on the SSD was anything that needs
>fast access etc.
>
>Personally, I put the few extra $$ in a 10k rpm hdd to help offset a
>bottle neck. Since then I moved to a pure SSD system and moved the 5
>Tb of media to a network storage device. The one I bought supports ssh
>mounting and ais easily seen as just another directory.

My machine has got 8 GiB of RAM. The default half of the available
memory, in my case 3.9 GiB are used for tmpfs. On Arch Linux, the Linux
I use more often than Ubuntu, /tmp is a tmpfs. It is enough space to
compile something that huge as a kernel in /tmp, but still not enough
to compile bloatware such as Firefox.

On a hybrid it seems to be the best approach to care about everything
that needs fast access. IOW bloatware that is not running the whole
day, recording and playing real-time audio production data etc..

I would not care about boot time or applications that are loaded when
starting a session and then will run forever. IMO it doesn't matter if
starting a session takes 2 seconds or 2 minutes, neither if you turn
your computer off and on two times a day, let alone if it runs 24/7.

As already pointed out, taking care about write cycles is a no-go for
me. I'm using my SSDs without taking special care and without worry. If
I would play my guitars less often, the frets would wear off less. If
I would walk less often wearing shoes... What after all does it amount
to?

For backups and archiving data I'm using HDDs not just because those do
cost less money. HDDs that seldom spin down and up, IOW that either are
on or off most of the times, are safe for ages.

Since SSDs are not that expensive anymore and I like to have a silent
computer, IMO it's best to use SSDs inside the computer only and to use
external HDDs.

You could have archives with hundreds of TiB on external media, inside
the computer likely most of us usually just need between 500 GiB and 1
TiB.

To backup my 1 TiB iPadPro with my Linux PC I soon or later will mount
an additional TiB to the around 1 TiB of SSD already mounted to my Linux
PC.