[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu on the Raspberry Pi 2/3/3B+

Adam Smith blondesaluki at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:21:11 UTC 2018

On 5/15/18, Yvo Brasseur <yvo.brasseur at rendaosolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> thanks a lot for the feedback.
>
> I cannot pretend I understand it all,  but is this what I will try next :
>
> 1)  I copy all your files to an USB bootable stick, except bootcode.bin
>      I plug it in one of the USB connectors
>
> 2) I copy the bootcode.bin on my bootable SD card and insert it.
>
> 3) I power on and see if I get to see a candidate disk to install on.
>
> Brgds,
>
> Yvo.

Yes that sounds correct.  See
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/README.md

One thing that I should of said is the Pi rainbow screen is shown for
a long time.  Much longer than normal.  This is because it is loading
the large initrd that the installer has.  It is easy to mistake this
for a failed boot if your USB device doesn't have an activity light.

I'm curious why no disks were showing in the installer when you
pre-partitioned the SD card.  I had a play last night and could boot
the installer from one USB partition, and install to another partition
on the same disk.  Surely it is the same for SD cards?  Anyway, I can
now say that the fat partition containing the bootloader files can be
anywhere on the disk, but it must be given the partition number 1.  So
create this first, even if you are sticking it at the end of the disk.

Hope that helps and doesn't add to the confusion!

Adam