[xubuntu-users] Garmin sat nav updates

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 10:43:51 UTC 2018

For over four years I have been able to update my sat nav 52LM model
with Openstreetmap data each month which has worked fine with Linux. I
also think OSM is better than either TomTom or Garmin maps. Only use
Xubuntu so have not been able to do Garmin Express updates as a
windows PC is required.

I recently got a 6" 65LM model only to discover that Garmin now use
what are called NT maps. One can put OSM on a micro SDcard and it
reads it ok but one loses the following functionality; road speed
limits, distance to junctions (top left corner icon), and up ahead
notifications. As a driver the 6" screen is such a benefit - on the 5"
I've always used 2D view which allows me to anticipate changes ahead.

Is it possible to use Wine to read the Garmin Express or another
method. It does seem odd for Garmin to be set up for Mac users (which
is Linuxish) but not Linux. One solution is to get a windows PC!!! I
did try and speak to the garmin UK office and he merely tried to sell
me the latest Dezi model. It would seem their sales are flagging...
mobile phones being the 1st choice.

It does seem that the phone apps are the best bet now. Trouble is I
find they are not reliable for a 10-12 hour working day - crashing or
screen freezing. I've removed all possible apps for space and at
present Co-Pilot and Sygic haven't crashed but Mapfactor, Navmii and
Here have. I have looked into getting a small tablet but those are a
bit large - the Garmin 6" was just right for my uses.

Be grateful if someone could advise - I might as well put the 65LM on
ebay as it's not worth much to me.

thanks
james