[xubuntu-users] Difference: Xubuntu install vs xubuntu package

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Oct 6 04:50:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 21:51:37 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>I have compared the packages installed on both systems.  The
>Ubuntu+xubuntu system has nearly all the packages that the
>Xubuntu-desktop system has, and the few that it is missing don't
>seem to be likely to be related to this problem.)

And the Ubuntu+xubuntu system doesn't have packages the Xubuntu-desktop
system doesn't provide? Even if not, keep in mind that the network for
the Ubuntu server image already needed to work, before any X
related, let alone Xubuntu related packages were installed, while the
install from the Xubuntu image might (or might not) establish a
connection with the Xubuntu tools, but perhaps at least by a
graphically environment. IOW the first way to establish an Internet
connection most likely differs.

I already wonder about the path /etc/networks/interfaces .
Perhaps just a typo.                        ^

However, on my Ubuntu and Arch install I access the Internet by my own
scripts started by systemd units, so I can't comment on NetworkManager
and it's GUIs.