[xubuntu-users] Exceedingly Grateful

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat May 13 21:25:53 UTC 2017

On 13/05/17 20:22, Joao Monteiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Newbie to Linux,

Welcome aboard.

> so please cut me some slack - but by all means do joke and have a
> laugh, humour IS important.

Very. Fortunately there is more of it in Linux than in Windows :-)

> I don't even know if I will be able to get back to this list to read
> anything or post anything else, I really don't.

I have taken the unusual step of CCing your address.

> THANK YOU for all your hard work and PLEASE don't ever let this
> version of Linux die away.

Amen.

> I have for the last 3 years been trying various flavours and versions
> of Linux to move away from Windows, which has been exasperating me no
> end for the most varied reasons.

I made a similar move many years ago, and I am always collecting
evidence, even anecdotal, about other people's moves in this direction.

> Not being a computer geek, it has been a long
> 3 years of frustration, disappointment and at times exasperation...

I had some of that too, but I would be very interested to know the list
of systems you investigated — not in detail, but with some indication of
*why* you gave them up and tried something else. Probably not here,
though: use my own address.

> I finally got it with Xubuntu Xfce. Hell, I don't even know if this
> is the correct definition/name/whatever of the version. I only know
> that I'm head over heels with it and can't let go of it.

Delighted to hear it.

> Basically, I found a Xubuntu Xfce (desktop) version available for
> download for 32 and 64 bit machines; downloaded both, installed the 32
> bit on an old Asus eeepc 1000H which had Windows XP. Worked so well

I have heard that this works — I was surprised because I have used more
recent Asus machines and they're basically rubbish.

> that
> I didn't think twice and installed the 64 bit version on an equally old
> Samsung R20 laptop

It's a measure of my own ignorance that I didn't even know Samsung made
laptops.

> I struggle with money like most and I am busy to my eyeballs with work
> (both for a living as well as private research - energy related) so i
> don't have a clue how could I possibly give any contribution to this
> community and project.

You just did. Thank you.

> [...] finally found a Linux that WORKS AS IT SAYS
> IN THE TIN (and consistently across a PC and various different laptop
> models), in a way that is familiar and easy to transition to

Largely, yes. I can still break it, though, but not in the general
course of usage.

Happy computing!
///Peter