[xubuntu-users] The Devil's Advocate -- TANSTAAFL AKA "FOSS vs Proprietary"

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jul 14 05:46:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 14:25:03 +0800
Guang Chao <guang.chao.1974 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But on the downside, open source is so fragmented.  See how many
> distro there are.  How many desktop manager.  How many projects doing
> the same thing.  Instead of the large majority focusing on only few
> good ones, programmers are scattered doing their own version of what
> they want.

To me, this is the best thing about Open Source: The "fragmentation".
I'll bet you few on this list would enjoy using Slackware or  Funtoo. I
doubt many Slackware or Funtoo people would enjoy Xubuntu. All work
great, when they fit your workflow.

As far as Desktop Managers, I bet there are 20 or more great ones out
there. On my Daily Drive Desktop I use Openbox plus dmenu. LXDE on my
laptops. I have friends who love KDE. No single user interface would
satisfy us both. I have friends who use twm and fvwm. That's too close
to the metal for my taste, but they love them.

I recently moved to Devuan and Void Linux because I don't want systemd
on my computer. No problem, Open Source gives us the choices we need to
have the computers we want.

You mentioned focusing only on the few good ones. I'd say they're all
good, except the ones that crash and surprise. I'm glad we have all
these choices.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2017 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz