[xubuntu-users] Couple of xubuntu questions

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 5 22:38:06 UTC 2017

I had no time to explain, now I've got a little bit of time, to at least
add two hints.

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 23:48:30 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 13:04:17 -0700, John R. Sowden wrote:
>>Q1: Can I set how often my computer checks in to confirm the real
>>time clock is correct? Daily. I think, is little much for my
>>application, weekly is more in line.  It seems that in Settings, my
>>only option is check it or not.
>
>Hi,
>
>to avoid issues the time should be corrected gradually, which is done
>automatically by software. It's also possible to correct the time
>immediately, but this could cause issues. I don't know what settings
>you are using, however, be carefully with choosing the intervals as
>well as choosing between gradually or immediately time correction.
>in case of doubt go with the default.

If the clock is set back, an old file quasi could be newer than a new
file, which could cause confusion.

>>Q3: Why, if I delete any reference to Chrome or Chromium, using the
>>Synaptic Package Manager, are there still files with the letters
>>"Chrom" in their name, and the relate to Chrome/Chromium?
>
>From command line you could chose between "remove" and "purge" to
>uninstall software. A "remove" doesn't remove configuration files. A
>"purge" does remove configuration files. Neither "remove" nor "purge"
>are removing any files from the user's home directory.

Files in home are owned by the users, perhaps an admin decides to
remove software, with or without global configuration files, located
e.g. in /etc, but a user might still want to keep her personal files,
e.g. a browsers history, for e.g. usage on another machine. Keep in
mind that Linux machines not necessarily are single user machines.