[xubuntu-users] xubuntu-users Digest, Vol 120, Issue 29

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 22 08:09:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

now the post-factual fashion joins computer mailing lists, too?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:33:49 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:20:39 -0500 JMZ wrote:
>> However, suggesting that new users use the command line interface
>> (cli) as an economization measure might not often be wise.  Many
>> people, especially "millennials", may never have seen a command
>> prompt before.

Choosing Linux has got a lot to do with command line. It has nothing to
do with the age to prefer CLI over GUIs for many tasks. JFTR even today
programming usually is done by typing characters and not by moving
things with the mouse around, just the languages to do this changed, so
even young people are aware that computers have much to do
withkeyboards and not that much with moving mice and wiping fingers.
However, even users who don't write code have a reason to chose Linux.
Choosing Linux as a replacement for another OS is usually a bad idea.
The advantage of Linux is the command line interface. It's wise to
recommend novices to become familiar with CLI as soon as possible. It's
absolutely wrong to claim that this shouldn't be wise.

>I always over-equip my systems with RAM

Another bad recommendation. The more unneeded equipment we are using,
the higher the power consumption is. Even if you don't care about
environmental pollution, if you are living in e.g. Germany, you'll
notice each single resistor by your money-bag, since 1 KWh does cost
around 0,25 €. This means just 0,5 KWh more each day of the year
makes a difference of 45,- € at the end of the year. Apart from this it
does cause a lot of computer waste and wastage of rare earths to
over-equip the computer, while it gains absolutely nothing to use an
over-equip computer.

Regards,
Ralf