[xubuntu-users] xubuntu-users Digest, Vol 120, Issue 29

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 22 00:33:49 UTC 2017

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:20:39 -0500
JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree Peter that even for people running ubuntu flavors on
> super-fast gamer boxes, it's good to try to economize on
> applications.  However, suggesting that new users use the command
> line interface (cli) as an economization measure might not often be
> wise.  Many people, especially "millennials", may never have seen a
> command prompt before.  Many linux users take cli for granted, given
> our familiarity with past computing systems completely run by text
> command.  New users often need gui front-ends to compensate. Who can
> blame many new users given their sole experience with highly
> graphical environments?
>
> This is why I'd say it's better for a new ubuntu user to over-equip
> their systems with RAM.  gui counterparts of commands should be as
> easy and quick as possible.
>
> Jordan

Yes!

I always over-equip my systems with RAM, even though I'm a user who
does what Peter suggested and use lightweight and often CLI programs.
That way, when they're new, they're ultra-snappy, and when they're 4
years old, they can still run contemporary software in a reasonable
manner.

Also, no matter who you are or how much you depend on GUI, some day
you'll probably need to run virtual machines on the computer. At that
time, the person who bought extra RAM will be VERY glad he or she did.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust