[xubuntu-users] Authoring tools: Was Is there a Linux Distro with MS Word Pre installed?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Jan 14 16:16:26 UTC 2017

> On 1/14/2017 6:40 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > [snip]
> > reStructuredText is a markup laguage (i.e. it's similar to Markdown)
> > but is designed for the job.  It's quite readable in its native form
> > and has conversion software for (I think, I haven't actually checked)
> > HTML, LateX and others.
> >
> > See:- http://docutils.sourceforge.net
> >
> > I use it quite a lot for writing my own documentation and notes.
> >

> I picked up on that you use it for writing notes.
> I have been looking for a note taking tool. A requirement is that it has
> some sort of hyperlinking capability. I've yet to come across anything
> personally attractive.

reStructuredText can do hyperlinks but if you think about it
hyperlinks in text are rather difficult to tie down.  It depends a lot
on the context how the hyperlink should work.

> The link you gave points to low level detail information.
> It conceals what I'm looking for.

Yes, I'm aware that the reStructuredText 'home' pages drop you in at
rather a low level.

There's a rather more 'user friendly' entry point at:- http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

There is a Wikipedia entry too:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText

--