[xubuntu-users] using nautilus as default file manager but thunar keeps launching when usb plugged

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Feb 3 13:55:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:48:48 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 10:13:28 -0300 (ART), Gustavo Sansone wrote:
>>as said on subject, I'm using nautilus as default FM. I just installed
>>the package and then switch the default file manager from
>>configuration panel. It seems to work ok, but It's keep opening thunar
>>when a USB drive is inserted. any ideas on how to change this
>>behavior?
>
>Hi,
>
>quit xfdesktop and let nautilus handle the desktop. Ensure that the
>"--no-desktop" option isn't enabled by nautilus' preferences.
>
>  xfdesktop --quit && nautilus --no-default-window &
>
>Note, I didn't test this, since nautilus even isn't installed on my
>machine, I just read the man pages.
>
>Consider to run
>
>  xfdesktop --help
>  nautlius --help
>
>as well as
>
>  man xfdesktop
>  man nautilus
>
>or assuming man pages shouldn't be installed, search for
>"Ubuntu man nautilus" etc. with a web browser.
>
>Regards,
>Ralf

PS: I might be mistaken, but IIRC there's also a variable to tell
xfdesktop to use another file manager. If so, you could still use
xfdesktop and run nautilus with the "--no-desktop" option. IOW if so,
the desktop would launch nautilus, too, but I suspect the right click
menu etc. would be handled by xfdesktop. Search the documentation at
https://www.xfce.org/ ;).