[xubuntu-users] independant displays (no coupled screen switching)?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 5 15:05:44 UTC 2016

My old workstation with Xubuntu 12.04 has two independant displays.

Display 1:

framstag at flupp:~: echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

Display 2:

framstag at flupp:~: echo $DISPLAY
:0.1

I can move the X mouse pointer from one display to the other (but no
windows) and I can switch the virtual screens independantly, e.g. on
display 1 is virtual screen 1 and on display 2 is virtual screen 3.
This is what I want!

My new workstation with Xubuntu 16.04 now has two coupled displays. Both
have DISPLAY=:0.0 and I cannot switch the virtual screens independantly.
When I choose another screen with the Workspace Switcher, both displays
are switched together. BAD.

With Settings->Display (xfce4-display-settings) I was not able to
configure the displays independant.

What is the trick?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<20161005150544.GD23306 at rus.uni-stuttgart.de>