[xubuntu-users] toggle touchpad ON/OFF

Thomas nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp
Sun Mar 27 10:06:57 UTC 2016

On 2016年03月27日 13:56, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:51:14 +0900
> Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp> wrote:
>
>> There: "keyboard -> shortcut -> system (I think it was)" there is a
>> setting "toggle touchpad".
>> Specifying a shortcut key works like a charm.
>>
>> Go to http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201406/201406.htm, and search for
>> "Touchpad Mouse Toggle" (without the quotes), to see a shellscript that
>> works on any laptop with a standard touchpad and Linux and synclient
>> installed. Hotkey it, and it's fast enough to do most of your typing
>> sans-mouse, and quickly switch to mousing and back again.
>>
>> And it's distro-agnostic, and not likely to be replaced by an upgrade.

Now .. THAT sounds wonderful and exactly what I am looking for.
However, I am afraid I do not understand the instructions:
(from the indicated website:)

Touchpad Mouse Toggle

This is actually a necessity on all laptops, because if you're doing
serious typing, the mousepad will mess things up, so it's usually better
to have it disabled. And yet sometimes you might need the mousepad. _So
make the following shellscript, permissioned executable, and either put
it on $PATH and call it ttog, or hotkey it:_

#!/bin/bash

curstate=`synclient | grep -i TouchpadOff | sed -e"s/.*= //"`

if test "$curstate" = "1"; then

synclient TouchpadOff=0

else

synclient TouchpadOff=1