[xubuntu-users] xubuntu 14.04: strange behavior on thunderbird drop down recipient box

Victor Forberger vforberger at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 15 18:16:59 UTC 2016

On 03/15/2016 05:03 AM, Fabrizio Tivano wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm managing a large scale of Xubuntu 14.04 based  desktop installation,
> all systems are kept up to date by a centralized provisioning server.
>
> Few months ago, I don't exactly know when, but certainly in conjunction
> with some update, probably before Thunderbird 38.3, we started experiencing a really
> strange behavior related to the auto completion drop down list
> on the Thunderbird new messagerecipient box.
>
> The central LDAP provides company email address book  and when I type
> just a character in the recipient box I can see a drop down listing the
> email addrs matching the character just entered;
> when I input a second char (80% of cases)  the drop down refresh but it
> cuts making it impossible to read the content.
>
> Considerations:
>
> I've already uninstalled the  Thunderbird provided by distro, and
> installed a fresh copy from mozilla.org with no results.
> Problem seems persisting in 15.10  as well.
> On Centos 7 looks good: i'm unable to reproduce it.
>
> I believe this issue [bug ?] is related  with some graph libs, but was
> unable to find it out,
> Any ideas ?
>
> Our production OS and SW version:
> Xubuntu 14.04 LTS 32bit updated at week #10 - 2016
> Thunderbird 38.6.0
>
> Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Thanks for your concise explanation.

It is a Thunderbird bug that I'm seeing in 14.04 and 15.10 without any
LDAP server. It seems to be with the display of any stored addresses
connected to the name/e-mail address being typed.

I believe it first started appearing for me with 13.10. But, for me it
is very sporadic and seems to be connected only to certain e-mail
addresses. I see it probably less than 10% of the time. It has been
increasing in frequency, however. That is, more e-mail addresses that I
use are becoming subject to this bug.

take care,
Victor

--