[xubuntu-users] Two printers available in programs but only one is installed

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Feb 22 13:07:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 12:43:49 +0000
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> It's definitely the printer's presence on the network that's being
> picked up, I have reconfigured the printer itself so the name it has
> in its configuration is 'OKI do not use' and its location is also 'do
> no use' and the phantom printer now appears with these parameters.
>
> In Firefox it's:-
>
>     OK do not use       do not use
>
> ... and in AbiWord it's:-
>
>     print               do not use      Rejecting Jobs
>
> That 'Rejecting Jobs' is in the Status column in AbiWord, Firefox has
> nothing in that column.
>
> The above renaming of the printer is at least a workaround but it
> would be nice if I could get them to go away completely!

This is probably due to the printer sending out Bonjour broadcasts,
maybe avahi on your system is picking them up or maybe the software
itself. I really don't know how that works. You could try to stop avahi,
or see if the printer has a setting to disable Bonjour/AirPrint.

Or I might be waaaay off-track ;)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"