[xubuntu-users] Two printers available in programs but only one is installed

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 22 12:43:49 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:46:18AM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:29:32 +0000
> Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:05:19AM +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> > > Is cups-browsed installed?
> > >
> > Yes.
>
> Disable or uninstall it. If you do 'apt show cups-browsed' you can see
> why that would probably help.
>
> Try 'sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed.service' first. If that stops the
> extra printer queue from showing up, then you can stop it from starting
> up again at the next boot with 'sudo systemctl disable
> cups-browsed.service'.
>
> Other alternatives:
>
> 1. Set 'CreateIPPPrinterQueues' to 'No' in /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf
> 2. Set 'BrowseRemoteProtocols' to 'none' or 'cups' in the same file
> 3. Set 'BrowseAllow' to a range that excludes the printer, also in the
>    same file.
>
> I think either of these would solve the issue.

I'm afraid not, I have done both 'sudo systemctl disable
cups-browsed.service' and changed the BrowseRemoteProtocols line in
/etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf.  I have checked and cups-browsed isn't
running after rebooting and I still get the extra phantom printer.

I think Firefox, AbiWord and others must be finding the printer by
some other means than via cups.

It's definitely the printer's presence on the network that's being
picked up, I have reconfigured the printer itself so the name it has
in its configuration is 'OKI do not use' and its location is also 'do
no use' and the phantom printer now appears with these parameters.

In Firefox it's:-

    OK do not use       do not use

... and in AbiWord it's:-

    print               do not use      Rejecting Jobs

That 'Rejecting Jobs' is in the Status column in AbiWord, Firefox has
nothing in that column.

The above renaming of the printer is at least a workaround but it
would be nice if I could get them to go away completely!

--
Chris Green