[xubuntu-users] iPlayer downloads

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 06:52:59 UTC 2016

On 18 December 2016 at 06:19, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using xubuntu 16.04
>
> Be grateful if someone could advise.
>
> It seems one can download iPlayer programs on windows and mac but not linux
> according to the website. In the repos there is get-iplayer which I
> installed.
>
> But I can't workout how to use it.

Sorry had to post before I came out of the terminal email client.

This is what I get.
james at main:~$ get-iplayer "Question Time"
get_iplayer v2.94, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
1451: Question Time - 08/12/2016, BBC One, , default

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
james at main:~$ get-iplayer -g 1451
get_iplayer v2.94, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
1451: Question Time - 08/12/2016, BBC One, , default

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'default'
INFO: Try using
--modes=flashhd,flashhigh,flashstd,flashvhigh,hlshd,hlshigh,hlslow,hlsstd,hlsvhigh,subtitles
INFO: Checking existence of original version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'original'
INFO: Try using
--modes=flashhd,flashhigh,flashstd,flashvhigh,hlshd,hlshigh,hlslow,hlsstd,hlsvhigh,subtitles
INFO: Checking existence of signed version
INFO: No specified modes () available for this programme with version 'signed'
INFO: Try using
--modes=flashhigh,flashstd,flashvhigh,hlshigh,hlslow,hlsstd,hlsvhigh,subtitles
ERROR: Failed to record 'Question Time - 08/12/2016 (b084x5f2)'
james at main:~$

It seems I should specify modes although the website did not. The
technical side I don't know.

thanks
james