[xubuntu-users] Disk encryption boot oddity

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Apr 2 08:13:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 21:29:34 +0100
Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 04/01/2016 12:05 PM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > Swap is never mounted, it's just a virtual extension of physical
> > memory. The only occasion I would expect to see something like /swap
> > is if you are using a swapfile as opposed to a raw partition - in
> > that case it would need to reside in a file on a file system.
>
> The machine has been upgraded from 13.10 to 15.10 step by step using
> all defaults over the years, so whatever is in fstab is there because
> the installer put it there, not through any human choice :-)

The reason swap is listed in /etc/fstab is so that the system knows it
is present and enables it on boot. I suppose it is a bit of an
exception to the other entries as it is not actually mounted, but it's
just the way this has always been.

> Either way, this should be filed as a bug against whatever module
> handles whole-disk decryption at boot time. I have no idea where to
> look for that.

I agree that it is a bug, and I see the same message on my laptop. At a
guess the package to file it against would be cryptsetup. If you do that
I am sure the right people will see it. Whether anyone has time to do
anything about it before xenial is released is another question :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"