[xubuntu-users] Upgrading BIOS

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:49:32 UTC 2015

On 11/18/2015 09:25 AM, John Deakin wrote:
> All,
>
> With the new release, 15.10, I have to upgrade the BIOS in my Dell
> Vostro computer. The interlacing on my screen is shot with the upgrade
> and I have been told that the BIOS is at fault.
>
> I have tried a number of ways found in various web sites and have failed
> on all attempt. They all involve some sort of DOS emulation and have
> either failed during the procedure or I judged the instructions either
> incomplete or beyond my competence.
>
> If you know of any simple, "foolproof" procedure to upgrade with
> Vx20-104.EXE please help me out.

Seems from the Dell site that you need to create a bootable disk (usb is
doable) by formating in windows as system disk (Check the "Make
bootable" option).  Virtualbox would do or borrow a friends PC.  Dell is
in bed deep with windows so the "easy" method is borrow a friends PC or
go to the library and try. Copy your file to the usb; which being a
fat32 format most likely will be readable from your system.  Reboot with
the disk and run the command:

Vx20-104.EXE [filename is the command]

and this should launch the program...

Double check the the file that it is correct... the one I found, with
the info you provided was 3550A11.EXE found at
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N2KW4
but this is with out the model number of YOUR system. So double check
you have the correct file.

HIH

Fred