[xubuntu-users] "Not enough space on disk /boot"

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon May 25 09:01:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, 25 May 2015 04:35:12 -0400
Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 09:02:42AM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 May 2015 22:55:38 +0900 Thomas Blasejewicz
> > <nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp> wrote:
> > > File manager shows:
> > > /boot = total space = 248.8 MB
> > > used space  169.5 MB = 75%
> >
> > All that should really be in /boot are kernels (and related things,
> > like initrd). You may have a lot of old ones installed.
>
> A contributing problem is that if you let the installer partition
> things for you it still(?) gives you a 200-250M /boot, which I think
> is based on very old kernel sizes.  You can't even have "a lot" of old
> kernels lying around any more -- maybe you keep two working ones, and
> then two security updates later it's already out of space again.

Does it still do this? Sounds like a bug report waiting to happen. I'll
have to spin up a VM and see what the partitioner does.

> Having /boot fill up has been an Ubuntu issue forever, but but it
> happens a lot more often these days because of the larger kernel and
> initrd sizes.  Every time I install a new system I now make sure to do
> custom paritioning and bump /boot up to a gigabyte or two simply so I
> don't have to manually clean it up as often.

I think the Debian installer does this too, and Canonical simply hasn't
modified the installer that much. It should be a simple fix, and it
really should use sane values for default partition sizes.

Having said that, I can't remember the last time I let the installer
choose the partitioning for me, but it shouldn't really be hard to make
it choose appropriate sizes. If Canonical intends to use the same
scheme for their mobile devices, I can see how they would want to
waste as little space as possible, but on a desktop/laptop nobody is
going to miss a gig or so going to /boot these days.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"