[xubuntu-users] "Not enough space on disk /boot"

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Mon May 25 08:35:12 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 09:02:42AM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2015 22:55:38 +0900 Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp> wrote:
> > File manager shows:
> > /boot = total space = 248.8 MB
> > used space  169.5 MB = 75%
>
> All that should really be in /boot are kernels (and related things,
> like initrd). You may have a lot of old ones installed.

A contributing problem is that if you let the installer partition
things for you it still(?) gives you a 200-250M /boot, which I think
is based on very old kernel sizes.  You can't even have "a lot" of old
kernels lying around any more -- maybe you keep two working ones, and
then two security updates later it's already out of space again.

Having /boot fill up has been an Ubuntu issue forever, but but it
happens a lot more often these days because of the larger kernel and
initrd sizes.  Every time I install a new system I now make sure to do
custom paritioning and bump /boot up to a gigabyte or two simply so I
don't have to manually clean it up as often.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net