[xubuntu-users] alsaplayer and aplay not working anymore on mp3-files

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jun 25 10:55:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:07:41 +0200, Herbert Herwig wrote:
>I used alsaplayer and aplay all the time before upgrading to 15.04
>without any problems.
>Since then, any mp3 file is producing just "noise". wav files work
>well. VLC and Parole player are also working fine.

Just a shot in the dark.

Take a look at the dependency chains of the packages providing this
software.

I don't know what's broken here, but since Debian and Ubuntu suffer
from a ffmpeg vs libav issue, it might be a similar problem, since
playing MP3s needs "restricted-extras" or whatever.

There might or might not be an issue with optional dependency of a
dependency.