[xubuntu-users] Hard drives and backup - Was: Am I the only one who still uses floppies?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:39:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:14:42 +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:02:20 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> Are SSDs ok as backup media?
>
>Not sure (there are some issues with data retention when not powered on
>for a long time, apparently (*)), and besides they are overkill
>price-wise. For backups the performance of a HDD should be ok.
>
>(*)
>http://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/the-truth-about-ssd-data-retention

Thank you.

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:22:01 +1000, Telstra wrote:
>A lot of so called 'energy savers' neglect to factor in the energy
>consumed in creating the new product. It may be an urban myth but I
>feel confident I saw stated a while ago that it takes as much energy
>to create a new car as the car is likely to consume in its lifetime. I
>would suspect that computers have a similar construction energy
>burden. Consequently keeping older gear working safely and
>productively whether by driving a clunker or using a lean version of
>Linux on older hardware, it is already making a huge difference :-)

+1

I stay with old computer gear and I didn't replace an existing backup
drive with the green drive. I bought it, because I didn't own a backup
drive. I also dislike to reduce my quality of life, so I'm using
tungsten filament bulbs were ever I need light without colour spikes
and colour holes, e.g. when making art and for rooms that should be
comfortable. Unfortunately replacing my refrigerator would be better
for nature and my purse, but I don't have the money to replace it.