[xubuntu-users] Are *Ubuntu Based Distro's Dying?

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Jul 7 06:45:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:46:53 -0400
Jesse Palser <jessepalsermailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my little story:
> I used Ubuntu until Unity,
> then Kubuntu until Plasma 5,
> and now am using Xubuntu.

I guess this is because both Unity and Plasma 5 are horrid desktops,
Xfce isn't going anywhere any time soon. I also doubt Xfce is going to
make such a dramatic change to the way it works and feels that
abandoning it is going to be necessary. Even if it does, there are
alternatives. Personally, I'd probably switch to Enlightenment, or back
to a more plain window manager, like fvwm.

But these are just desktops, under them you have always been running
the same distribution.

> I've seen some things which make me believe that *Ubuntu based
> distro's are dying?
> Seem like something will happen to Ubuntu soon and then the spins
> would die?

Whatever Canonical does to Ubuntu, the community always has the freedom
to fork and do it's own thing - look at Mint, for example. If Canonical
crashes and burns or does something really horrible, the community can
pick up the pieces and keep going, though the name would probably need
to be changed. We have the source code. It might not be the same as it
is now, not having a financial backer would change things, but not
necessarily only for the worse.

Sure, there are things to worry about, but I don't think this is one of
them.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"