[xubuntu-users] ThinkPad E450 Laptop

Will Monroe wtmonroe.ls at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:48:20 UTC 2015

Andy,

I'm not sure if this will be useful to you but I purchased a Lenovo
ThinkPad T450s last month.  I've been running Xubuntu 14.04 for the last
five weeks.  I'm still a very new Linux user having only 15 months of
experience using it consistently and only one month of experience with
it as my primary work machine.  I've been meaning to try to organize my
experiences with it but for now, I'll share the following observations:

Trackpad:  Basic functionality, two-finger scrolling, and tap to click
all work just fine.  But I see a lot of spurious sudden cursor jumps.  I
know there are ways to address this but I'm a little uncertain about
adjusting the sensitivity so I've left it alone for now.

WIFI:  Works well, right out of the box.

Suspend/hibernation:  The actual suspend/hibernation functions available
via Lightlocker when I close and open my laptop lid seem to work fine.
However, although I'm able to resume from both, the GUI environment does
not recover.  The XFCE windows are there but there is no text or other
content, just gray boxes.  I'd love to fix this but I'm not sure how to
do so yet.

Audio:  All analog and HDMI connections that I throw at it work well.
But I'm still learning my way around XFCE's management of these.  I'd
like to automate volume control a bit.  I suppose this says less about
the laptop than it does about my understanding of XFCE.

Overall, startup (even with full disk encryption) is snappy and the
responsiveness of the system is fast.  I love it.

HTH,

Will