[xubuntu-users] Hard drives and backup - Was: Am I the only one who still uses floppies?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 18:20:45 UTC 2015

Interestng thread, but I take an approach to backups a bit different from
anything I read here.

All of my backups are to desktop HDDs that are not installed, but are used
in external drive docks.  They spend most of their lives on a shelf, and
spin up only when I put them in the dock to take the next backup.  I have
quite a few, so each one waits a long time for its next turn.

I buy new drives when the next larger capacity gets below my pain threshold
-- currently about US$100, which is getting to be 4TB territory, or will be
soon.

I have a few true external drives, but I use them to carry to other places
with large files, not so much for backups.  Most are really old, but I have
a few WD Passport Ultra drives, 2 TB, that are true native USB3.0.  There's
no SATA inside, so some earlier comments in the thread wouldn't apply.
The enclosure is shorter than ones for even laptop drives, and that makes
them fit in my luggage very well.