[xubuntu-users] Multimedia support

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 23:44:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
:

> I would like to be able to:
>
> 1. play music I download or rip from my CDs (most of this actually
>    works, except that I'm a classical music person, so the tagging
>    is largely meaningless)

There are many options - gmusicbrowser is the default and it works
fairly well if you don't mind the library setup.  I use mplayer.
There was another one in 12.04, Parole, I think, but I almost always
use mplayer after ripping (usually via k3b IIRC) or downloading
(youtube-dl) and converting (avconv) the music.

> 4. watch DVDs (and hear them too)

VLC works for me. mplayer can do this also, it's just a little trickier.

HTH.
MR