[xubuntu-users] Multimedia support

rl.ward at bigpond.com rl.ward at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 2 23:45:08 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

Just an optimistic note of encouragement.  I recently installed XUbuntu and upgraded to 14.04 very much as a bog standard install as the house media center, ie watching catch-up TV.  One part of the family subscribes to Google Hangouts and it worked "out of the box" with my 10 year old USB Logitech camera/microphone (get a combo and don't use the laptop microphone, though my ten year old ThinkPad microphone works fine).  This camera had given me no end of trouble on the previous incarnation of Ubuntu c. 12.x.x and I was not optimistic, however XUbuntu picked it up and ran with it.  All good so far.  The other part of my family subscribes to Skype (which is what I had used with great difficulty on the previous Ubuntu installation, and was not feeling good about it). However much to my delight the latest Skype (2 months ago) installed and worked straight away also.

Another major frustration I had with the previous Ubuntu was problems with vision and sound, and this continued with XUbuntu ie no HDMI.  Fortunately a friend was dumping a dead motherboard and offered it to me, and I said I would take it if it had a HDMI video card.  So for no cost I could try it out, and it also worked perfectly with no extra set up or drivers etc etc  The previous board, also from NVidia, had given me no end of headaches and never worked through HDMI with sound!  The second card+XUbuntu just plugged into the HDMI and away it went.

So to end a long story, I think major improvements have been made in this area and I was very pleasantly surprised.  I have documented this (Logitech & NVidia models) here http://www.laketyersbeach.net.au/XP2XU.html

--

Rob