[xubuntu-users] DVD iso burning 8X?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 2 17:09:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:02:47 +0100 (BST)
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 23:52 +0100, James Freer wrote:

> > An issue is the DVDs durability. DVDs and CDs aren't backup medias.
> > DVDRAM could be used for backups, but using them usually is a PITA.
>
> I thought CD/DVD were ok for storage if kept in a ambient room temp
> environment e.g. like a bookshelf but would suffer in variable temps
> like a garage/conservatory without central heating. I have put photos
> on CD which seem to be ok after 5 years.

My personal experience is that my CD and DVD backups, all the way back
to 1998, are just fine. We live in Central Florida, 90+ degrees every
afternoon April-October, and our air conditioner is forever breaking. I
think my office temperature regularly goes into the mid 80's. In the
winter, we don't use the heater much, occasionally my office goes down
to the low 60's in the winter.

I keep my CD and DVD backups in a roll-top box, rolled down, preventing
light intrusion, on a shelf to further limit light intrusion. My only
backups that went coaster after a period of time (as opposed to being
burned coasters) were from one set of inferior Blu-ray discs.

I wrote quite a bit about this subject here:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/201408/201408.htm

SteveT