[xubuntu-users] Wrong Network device ID

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat May 31 16:23:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-31 at 14:05 +0100, Tim wrote:
> I have just done a fresh install of 14.04 on my PC and while the network
> connection has worked out of the box, I have just noticed that rather
> than eth0 as the device ID it has been given p2p1? How do I get Xubuntu
> to recognise my on board network card as eth0. There are no other
> network device installed, lspci returns

Are you asking about the "eth0 vs enp3s0 udev" issue?
The common name for many distro's defaults already is enp3s0 instead of
eth0. There is a config or udev rule where you only have to edit one
value to get back eth0 instead of enp3s0. Until you don't have tons of
scripts using eth0, you should consider to use the not that new common
naming pattern instead of the outdated eth0.