[xubuntu-users] Synaptic doesn't work on a new 14.04 installation

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jul 17 20:57:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 08:05:38PM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 16:13:10 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > I have just installed xubuntu 14.04 on an IBM Thinkpad x201i.
> >
> > I like to use synaptic for adding software so I installed that (from the
> > command line using apt-get) but it doesn't work, there are various
> > symptoms according to how you try to run it:-
> >
> >     Run from the menus - asks for authentication in the normal manner
> >     but nothing further happens, no GUI, nothing.
>
> It is an exact picture of what happens if the password entered is
> incorrect. E.g. if you make a typo entering your password you will get
> "no GUI, nothing."  Make sure you did entered the correct password.

Not on my systems!  If I enter the wrong password after starting
Synaptic from the menu it 'shakes its head' by shaking the pop-up
window and says "Your authentication attempt was unsuccessful. Please
try again."  It's only on the new Thinkpad system where it just goes
away and does nothing.  I'm sure I have the password right anyway,
I've tried enough times and I'm not having problems at any other time
entering the password.

> Otherwise, it should work. I have no problems with synaptic on 2 machines
> running Ubuntu 14.04, one is an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04, another is
> fresh install.

Exactly, I have four or five machines running Xubuntu 14.04 where
Synaptic runs fine, it's just this most recent one where it's broken.

> Another suggestion, if you set a root password on your system synaptic
> may expect you to enter your root password instead your sudo password.
> I'm not sure if it is true in Ubuntu though. I had this experience in
> openSUSE with Yast.

No, absolutely standard system, I think I've only added one other
thing apart from Synaptic since the initial installation.

--
Chris Green